Monday, October 12, 2009

Maybe this is TMI

I know that people go through life and experience all kinds of things. There are things that happen to us that change us forever. 9 years ago today I had one of those moments.

I was 18. A senior in high school. And my life changed.

On October 10, 2000 I went to Alta View Hospital to have an ultrasound done. I was 22 weeks pregnant and going into find out if I was having a boy or a girl. (It was finally at the point that my family was getting excited about this little baby. After all, I was in high school and unmarried.) My mom, Adam and I went to the hospital that morning with all the excitement in the world. It was raining. We went into the ultrasound room and the lady started the ultrasound. She told me the baby's head was on my left side, then she got quiet. As I was looking at the screen, I knew there was something wrong. Something didn't look right. She took a few pictures then told us she'd be right back. We were left there alone...knowing something was wrong. She came back, handed Adam the video tape and said, "you need to go see your doctor.

The ultra sound tech couldn't find a heartbeat.

Because I was 22 weeks pregnant I had to give birth to this little baby like a normal birth. The next 2 days were really hard. My body knew it wasn't time for me to have this little baby. But after a lot of medicine, visits from family, and tears on October 12, 2000 @ 5:20am I gave birth to my little boy Corbin Daniel Herd. Adam, me, my mom, and Adam's parents were there that morning to see him.

He had my big head, my long legs. Long fingers like his daddy and a nose like his dad too. Everything about him was perfect...except that he wasn't breathing. He was so tiny. I spent about an hour with him, then said good bye.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss my little boy. I wish I could see his face, hold his hand, smother him with kisses, hear his voice. I wish Leila knew her big brother.

I was young, but I was ready to be a mom. But I knew that my life may be in a very different place. I try so hard to stay positive and not get angry, but I am human. I know that there's a reason why we all go through the things that we do. That day I literally felt like I was in hell. I can re-live those 2 days more vividly than almost any other days of my life. But maybe it was for me that my little boy didn't get to spend life with me on this earth.

This poem was one I found online after Corbin died. It was what helped and continues to help me when I'm missing Corbin.

A MOTHER HAS A BABY, THIS WE KNOW IS TRUE.
BUT GOD, CAN YOU BE A MOTHER, WHEN YOUR BABY'S NOT WITH YOU?
YES, YOU CAN, HE REPLIED WITH CONFIDENCE IN HIS VOICE.
I GIVE MANY WOMEN BABIES, WHEN THEY LEAVE IS NOT THEIR CHOICE.
SOME I SEND FOR A LIFETIME; AND OTHERS FOR A DAY
AND SOME I SEND TO FEEL YOUR WOMB; BUT THERE'S NO NEED TO STAY.
I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS, GOD, I WANT MY BABY HERE.
HE TOOK A BREATH AND CLEARED HIS THROAT; AND THEN, I SAW A TEAR.
I WISH I COULD SHOW YOU, WHAT YOUR CHILD IS DOING TODAY.
IF YOU COULD SEE YOUR CHILD SMILE WITH OTHER CHILDREN AND SAY.
"WE GO TO EARTH TO LEARN OUR LESSON'S OF LOVE AND LIFE AND FEAR,
MY MOMMY LOVED ME OH SO MUCH, I GOT TO COME STRAIGHT HERE...
I FELL SO LUCKY TO HAVE A MOM, WHO HAD SO MUCH LOVE FOR ME
I LEARNED MY LESSON VERY QUICKLY, MY MOMMY SET ME FREE.
I MISS MY MOMMY OH SO MUCH; BUT I VISIT HER EACH DAY.
WHEN SHE GOES TO SLEEP, ON HER PILLOW IS WHERE I LAY
I STROKE HER HAIR AND KISS HER CHEEK, AND WHISPER IN HER EAR.
MOMMY, DON'T BE SAD TODAY, I'M YOUR BABY AND I'M HERE."
SO, YOU SEE, MY DEAR SWEET ONE, YOUR CHILDREN ARE OKAY
YOUR BABIES ARE HERE IN MY HOME; AND THIS IS WHERE THEY'LL STAY.
THEY'LL WAIT FOR YOU WITH ME, UNTIL YOUR LESSON IS THROUGH
AND ON THE DAY THAT YOU COME HOME; THEY'LL BE AT THE GATES FOR YOU.
SO, NOW YOU SEE WHAT MAKES A MOTHER, IT'S THE FEELING IN YOUR HEART
IT'S THE LOVE YOU HAD SO MUCH OF; RIGHT FROM THE VERY START.
THOUGH SOME ON EARTH MY NOT REALIZE YOU ARE A MOTHER
THEY'LL BE UP WITH ME ONE DAY; AND YOU KNOW YOU'RE THE BEST ONE.


What happens to us does define us, at least a little. My little boy taught me a love that I didn't know existed in this world. He gave me a second chance. Maybe I wouldn't have Drew and Leila if Corbin were still here. In a perfect world I'd get to have all 3 of them. But its just not the reality of it.

Corbin-
I know that you are with your Heavenly Father today doing amazing things. I miss you so much. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and wish you were here with me. I know someday I will be able to see you, hold you and smother you with kisses. I know you're waiting for me and watching over me. I hope that I will fully understand why I had to say good bye to you before I got to really meet you. Drew is taking good care of me and I know you helped in sending him to me. He loves you Corbin and wishes he could have got to know you. I'll love you forever. I'll miss you, until that day that I get to see you again.
Love Always,
Mommy

17 comments:

The Carter's said...

Oh my gosh KD, I had no idea at all, that has got to be the hardest thing to deal with and have to handle so young. Corbin came into your life for a brief period of time but it was enough time to make an impact and make you who you are today. Corbin is looking down on you and helping you everyday. You are an amazing mommy and you will see your son again. if you need someone to talk to please let me know and we will get together. (Plus our little girls need to have a playdate.)

Cami said...

I kinda figured that's what today was. I never knew the whole story. I am sorry you had to go through that! I love you!

Mary said...

Okay, so I got about two lines into that poem and could barley finish it because I couldn't see the computer. KD, you are so strong and such a good example to everyone around you, especially that little girl of yours. After having my miscarriage I felt so lonely and almost like someone that I had known for so long had died, I can't begin to imagine how you felt after having to give birth and being so young. I truly believe with all my heart that you will meet your sweet little boy someday. stay strong, love you!

Lyndzi said...

Wow, I'm crying. KD, you are such a strong person and a wonderful mother. Thank you for your example.

Hair Goddess said...

I never knew this about you.... Let me know if you need anything this week. You know our group of friends is good at distracting each other in hard times. Love you

Kim and Nate said...

I am so glad that you shared this. This is something that not many young girls go through and you have become an amazing and stronger person because little Corbin! Some things in life are meant to happen a certain way and I believe that the Lord gives us only experiences that He knows we can handle even if it is so so hard to understand. I love that poem. It will be a great day when you get to see him again and smother him with those kisses!

robyn said...

K.D. I cried the whole time while reading this. you are so strong for going through this. I truly believe that the things we go through in this life define us and we are blessed for our hardships. You will be beyond blessed when you get to meet him in heaven. What strength you have. no wonder you are such a great mom. You have been practicing for the past 9 years!

The Walker's said...

Oh my goodness KD, I am bawling my eyes out right now! I had no idea that this happened to you. I am so sorry. What a sweet tribute. Corbin is so lucky to have a mom like you, and you will see him again!!

Tamara Jacobs said...

wow k.d., that was very touching. i had no idea that you had been through all of that. how hard. i'm sure he really is watching over you each day. thank you for sharing. you are a beautiful girl.

Mary said...

We love you sweet K.D.! What a sweet post. It is so thoughtful and tender, pure and faithful. I was deeply touched, and could not hold back my tears for you. Isn't it a comfort to know that you WILL see your sweet Corbin again?! Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are mindful of everything we each go through, and I know He has never, or will ever leave your side at times of sadness, or longing to hold your sweet son.

I'm so glad you shared this most treasured piece of you, and I should admit it is something Eddie had shared with me a long time ago, and you should know he was so sweet and almost very reverent while he told me what you had been through, I hope that was okay. It obviously is a subject I didn't know how to bring up with you, or even if I ever should bring up.

You are amazing, and are who you are today because everything your strong and sweet spirit have experienced already in your short life.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers today, and will also think about sweet Corbin, happy and comforted like you are that he must be pretty special to have received his body and will now live with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. and you forever!

Amy (Jones) & Lance Engberson Family said...

Oh Kate! I just don't know what to say to you. I wish there were words that could just take the pain away. I know there aren't so I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and have been all day. You are such a strong person. I know for a fact that Corbin is looking down at you and is so proud to be your son. He is surely giving you kisses and I know that you will see him again. I love you Kate! If you need anything anything at all please please let me know. I know that if this were me you'd be here for me too. SO please KD, I just want you to know that I love you and that my thoughts and prayers are with you always especially today. You are the greatest cousin, sister, and BESTEST BEST friend in the world!!!

Rebecca and Nick said...

wow, I had no idea you went through that! Having a stillborn is tough. My sister-in-law had one recently, and is still in the process of recovering. I guess you kind of never do, because you will always miss that baby. This was a very sweet post. Thanks for sharing your feelings!

Jason and Shannon Salmon said...

Wow! I am crying. I cannot imagine what you went through. You are one strong person and a great example. I just had a cousin go through a very similar situation. I am sure you grow and learn a lot going through something like that. We are lucky to have the gospel and know that you will be with him again someday!

ashlee sheppard said...

I thought that is what you were talking about on facebook but I didnt want to ask. I remeber that day and I want you to know that you are one of the strongest people I know. I am sorry that at the time I dont think I understood how you were feeling and I hope that I did ok as a friend. You are an amazing woman that I admire so much. I love you.

Unknown said...

Wow KD, I had no idea. You have always been someone that I have admired, and are obviously a very strong woman. I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing that beautiful poem, and for reminding me today to be so grateful for my kiddos. You will get to be with your sweet baby boy again someday! Big hugs to you!

Shan @ Design Gal said...

KD, you are such a strong girl. You'll get your chance to raise Corbin someday. :) And I'm sure he's preparing the rest of your kids to come down and meet you! Thanks for sharing your story- it was really touching.

Jackson Brown said...

Thanks for this post! I think I was supposed to read that today, and be able to share this quote with my close friend that just lost her baby.