Thursday, July 2, 2009

Good Read

I just finished a book that my mom had me read called Meeting Amazing Grace by Gary and Joy Lundberg. Its an easy read and a really sweet story. Its a wisdom book for all families and in-laws. The whole book is based on true stories of different situations that families face. Some I could completely relate too, other stories showed me what other people experience in life. If you're looking for a good book and an easy read, this book is AWESOME!!!! It gives you another way of looking at different situations and dealing with life. The authors are a husband and wife who travel around giving seminars about strengthening family relationships. If you don't want to read the book, here are the tips that the book gives you in a "Clif Notes" version.

Grandma Grace's Pertinent Points for Happy In-Law Relationships
  • Know the heartaches of their past so you can love them in the present
  • Open your ears more and your mouth less
  • Put yourself in the other person's shoes and see how it feels
  • Build a sure foundation by setting boundaries kindly
  • Give up grudges and be a white-flay waver
  • Let forgivemess be your best friend
  • Be willing to wait patiently for a good relationship to happen
  • Give them tie to grow into who they are in the process of becoming
  • Love them just the way they are, differences and all
  • Don't play favorites
  • Be their friend, not their boss or their slave
  • Honor their right to make their own choices without being offended
  • Keep your nose out of their private business and theirs our of yours
  • Lovingly offer help without trying to own their problems
  • Wrap your heart aorund them whent they hurt
  • Have faith in God and He will help you through whatever challenges you may face
  • Thank your in-laws at every opportunity
  • Give gratitude to God for the blessing of being an in-law and ask Him to help you do it His way
This book is heartwarming and sweet. Each of these points has a story or two to go with them, so you really should read the book. I know you'll love it.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I read this book and loved, loved it. It really makes you pause and think of what another may really be going through, not just what seems to be on the surface. I learned a lot from it...seems like you did too.

The Walker's said...

Sounds like such a great book....I am definitely going to read it. After almost 5 years of marriage, I still feel like I'm trying to get to know my in-laws and get along with them. Thanks for the suggestion!